Hello All My Fellow Adventure Seekers!!!!
A great place to stay when you’re visiting Lancaster, PA, a “Top 10 U.S.A. City to Visit” by Forbes, is the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square. It’s a beautiful hotel with all the amenities, and then some, and smack in the middle of the historic center. Everything is within walking distance of this central hotel, over 90 art galleries, a burgeoning food scene, Central Market, Fulton Theatre, shopping, historic landmarks and one of the largest National Historic Register Districts in the U.S.A.
DON’T miss their new rooftop bar called, The Exchange. It offers panoramic views of Downtown Lancaster and the perfect craft cocktails and cuisine to sip and savor while sitting in front of the long glass firepits lined with champagne colored glass pieces. The flames are mesmerizing and inviting, especially on a cool evening. The Exchange is the highest roof top bar in all of Lancaster, and the 3-sided views of the lit up city, where you could see for miles, were phenomenal.
I always enjoy exploring what hotels have to offer and stumbled across a beautiful 19th century house that the hotel incorporated into their structure. It was the William Montgomery House, built for a prominent local attorney, William Montgomery, and is referred to by many historians as one of Lancaster’s great Federal-Period mansions. The house is a full block-long structure that was built in 1804 and has been beautifully restored. The architect was Stephen Hills, who also designed the first Capitol building in Harrisburg, PA.
Time ran out so the next time I’m in Lancaster, I’d like to try the Plough Restaurant located inside the Lancaster Marriott. Chef Ryan McQuillan creatively prepares dishes where he incorporates fresh local ingredients sourced from the region’s lush Lancaster farmlands and oldest running Farmers’ Market in the country. The Plough name is written in an arch form with a weather vane directly below it which is a nod to the sun rising and setting on the land that brings many of the plated ingredients and the weather vane is symbolic of the many family farms across Lancaster County and movement toward innovation and improvement.
Last, but not least, every single one of the staff at the hotel went above and beyond the call of duty. They have perfected the art of customer service. I look forward to my return to the Lancaster Marriott.
Things to Do Within One Block of the Lancaster Marriott Penn Square:
- Lancaster Visitors Center and Central Market – diagonally across the square from the hotel
- Historical and ghost walking tours, https://visitlancastercity.com/visitor-center/
- An Escape Room – Escape on Queen, https://www.escapeonqueen.com/
- Columbia Kettle Works Brewpub, http://www.columbiakettleworks.com/locations-and-contact-info
- Zoetropolis Cinema Stillhouse and Lounge, https://zoetropolis.com/
- Federal Taphouse, 100 beers on draft, https://www.federaltaphouse.com/lancaster-pa/
Within a four block radius:
- Decades Barcade, https://www.decadeslancaster.com/
- Our Town Brewery, https://ourtownbrewery.com/
- Art Gallery Row, https://lancastercityartgalleries.com/
- Local shopping, https://visitlancastercity.com/shopping/
And, a local restaurant for every taste!
A quick drive from the hotel:
- Spring House Brewing Company (arcade upstairs), https://springhousebeer.com/events
- Axe Throwing and Meadery, https://www.meduseldmeadery.com/pages/axe-throwing
- Or, only about 15 minutes away – there’s another axe throwing place (they are super accommodating for parties and groups), https://www.stumpyshh.com/lancastercountypa/
- The Amish Village, https://www.amishvillage.com/
- Sight and Sound Theatre, https://www.sight-sound.com/
- The Amish Experience at Plain & Fancy Farm, https://amishexperience.com/
- Strasburg Railroad, https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
Tuesday’s are Central Market day! Central Market is just across the street from the hotel and the oldest running in-land market, originating in 1742. It’s open from 7am to 3pm.
A great place to find sweets and treats to take home, https://centralmarketlancaster.com/directory/
😍 I’ll be planning our next adventure together so stay tuned!!! 😍
Huggles and Smoochies,
Your Friend, Susan